Pastor Jeff Piepho: “I know you are trying to stop sinning. But, I want you to give up all your efforts to stop sinning.”
– We are not under the law and don’t “follow the law” – we are led by the Spirit.
– “Being free doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want. It’s not true that you continue to live the way you’ve always lived.”
– We are free from the law, but freedom doesn’t mean we make ourselves slaves to sin again.
– The Holy Spirit and my flesh (sinful side) are in conflict with each other, and desire different things.
-If I want to avoid sin, I should walk by the Spirit.
– When I give up my doomed effort to free myself and begin to walk by the Spirit, the power of God frees me from sin.
– I can’t continue to do the acts of my sinful nature and act as though it’s okay.
– It is the Spirit who works in our lives to produce what God wants from us. I cannot do it on my own.
– My main job: I must keep in step with the Holy Spirit.
– When I am in step with the Holy Spirit, I don’t even have to worry about following the law, or sinning because he leads me exactly where God wants me.
– “Who cares about the rules when you WANT to do what’s loving and good.”
Sermon: Stop Trying to Stop Sin
Bible Verses: Romans 8:15-17 and Galatians 5:13-26
By: Jeff Piepho
Recorded on 3/3/2013 – Captured Live on Ustream